Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sloping a Drafter

Or is it drafting a sloper...hmm...

So I got this book recently off of Amazon.  I can sew a lot of things, but I want something that will make it easier for me to do that.  So I got this:

The Practical Guide to Patternmaking for Fashion Designers: Juniors, Misses and Womens

and this:

Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified

And dove right in!  I should probably have started with the simplified version...but I have never been one for simple, always choosing the most difficult pattern in the book to start with.  So I took all the required measurements off of the dress form I made based on this video:

How-to make a Body Form

I drafted all of the bodice pieces, front and back, using some brown packing paper, which is pretty thin.  I put it up to the body form and pinned it down along the lines, but it doesn't quite fit.

So here's the problem:

The sides don't match all the way and the shoulders stick out funny.  Am I just supposed to smooth it out and make it fit, then take it back to flat and re-draft?  Can anyone out there tell me how to modify this thing?  I would think I could just add an inch and a half to the sides, but I'm not sure.  So...does anyone know what to do about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment